Glenbriar Email Security
Glenbriar has partnered with Barracuda, a leading provider of Anti-Spam solutions to provide Email Security with Advanced Threat Detection. This is a “cloud” based service which means Spam and other malicious email doesn’t even get near your mail servers.
Before we tell you what Glenbriar can do to protect you, here is a brief history on where spam started and why we should protect you.
A Brief History of Spam
Spam, Spam, Spam” as it goes from the Monty Python sketch. In the sketch the word spam is said with increasing frequency and volume eventually drowning out all other conversation. This is where, many say, the use of the word spam came from to describe the hundreds of unsolicited, and often unwanted, email messages sent every day.
It has been estimated that in 2016, around 61% of all email sent is spam. This doesn’t include newsletters or email that conforms to current legislation. Spamming first became a business practice in 1994 when two lawyers from Phoenix sent out messages over Usenet (a precursor to email) called the “Green Card Lottery”. At the time it was referred to as guerilla marketing.
Since that incident, many people have tried this method for marketing their business. Sometime referred to as “Spray and Pray” marketing the purpose was to get just one person of a thousand to open their email and use their service or launch their virus.
Over time, governments started making laws and several people have gone to prison for sending this junk to you. However, the practice, although illegal in most countries, is still relied on.
The war on Spam keeps moving along with technology blocking most of it while the spammers find new ways to fool it.
Today, spam filtering is essential to any business using email. This is where Glenbriar Technologies can help with an industry leading tool to combat Spam. Glenbriar can also arm your organization with the education needed to help protect yourself.
The service works by utilizing several layers of filtering to ensure only the legitimate email gets to your inbox. Here is a quick description of the key features:
- Advanced Threat Detection – Glenbriar’s Advanced Threat Detection (ATD) combines behavioral, heuristic, and sandboxing technologies to protect against zero hour and targeted attacks. ATD automatically scans email attachments in real-time; suspicious attachments are detonated in a sandbox environment to observe behavior. In addition to blocking the attachment, the results are integrated into the Barracuda Real Time System providing protection for all other customers.
- Anti-Phishing Protection - The Glenbriar Email Security combats phishing attempts by combining anti-fraud intelligence, behavioral and heuristic detection, protection against sender spoofing (i.e., spammers spoofing valid email addresses), along with domain name validation to detect and block phishing attempts. An example of a phishing attempt would be those emails you see from “Your Bank” asking you to click a link and update your information.
- Malware Protection - The Glenbriar Email Security leverages the cloud for dynamic, real time threat analysis, attachment sandboxing and URL protection to prevent malware from affecting email users.
- Link Protection - Anti-phishing also includes Link Protection. A popular method that attackers use to deliver malware relies on URLs that contain malicious code, which can be invisibly downloaded and can trigger a much larger attack. Link Protection automatically rewrites these URLs so that the Glenbriar Email Security can sandbox the request at click time to block malicious links.
- Typosquatting Protection - More sophisticated attackers make clever modifications to URLs so they look genuine, but are not. The most common technique is omitting letters or using convincing “typos” that even users who check URLs before clicking often miss. Barracuda’s Link Protection includes typosquatting detection, which automatically identifies and redirects these URLs to our sandbox at click time to block malicious activity.
- Anti-Spam Protection - With a long-standing heritage in spam protection, Barracuda Networks remains the leader in identifying and blocking spam. A comprehensive set of security layers ensures that organizations remain productive in the face of evolving threats. Glenbriar Email Security leverages Barracuda Central to identify email from known spammers and determine whether domains embedded in email lead to known spam or malware domains. It leverages many of the same industry-leading techniques found in the Barracuda Spam Firewall that protect against attempts to embed text inside images with the intent of hiding content from traditional spam filters.
- Anti-Virus Protection - As virus attacks become more sophisticated and complex, email infrastructure requires advanced virus protection. The potential for the destruction and release of information or the disruption of a network severely impacts productivity and can lead to financial loss. Glenbriar Email Security scans email and incoming files using three powerful layers of polymorphic virus scanning technologies. It also decompresses archives for complete protection. Powerful virus definitions are automatically updated to maintain the most up-to-date protection against email-borne viruses.
- Agentless Email Encryption - The Glenbriar Email Security offers a number of encryption features without requiring complicated key management. It is fully integrated with a cloud-based email encryption service for outbound email. Email that matches policy is securely sent via TLS to the Barracuda Message Center.
- Outbound Filtering - Outbound filtering prevents organizations from being put on spam block lists and prevents outbound attacks originating from inside the network. Employees can inadvertently cause internal systems to become a source for botnet spam. Using a subset of its defense layers, the Barracuda Essentials for Email Security’s outbound filtering stops outbound spam and viruses.
- Data Leak Prevention - Sensitive data abounds in company networks, and it is far too easy to send this information out of the company via email. Data Leak Prevention allows administrators to configure policies that will automatically recognize sensitive content. This content can be as straightforward as credit card numbers and social security numbers which are identified by predefined filters, as well as data that conforms to any number of custom policies. When sensitive information is detected in outbound mail, it can either be blocked or automatically encrypted, again, based on configurable policies.
- Email Continuity - The Email Continuity Service ensures that email operations continue by failing over to a cloud-based, email service, in the event primary email services become unavailable. During email server outages, an emergency mailbox allows users to continue sending, receiving, reading, and responding to email.
All these features add up to give you the best possible protection from unwanted and dangerous email threats.
Andrew Wilson, Glenbriar Technologies Inc. Senior Messaging Specialist